Electrical Safety Tips
Keep your home and family safe this holiday season with these electrical safety tips:
- EVERY NIGHT Before bed be sure to turn off all lights, both tree, outside and, any other decorative lights.
- REMEMBER 3 STRANDS OR LESS per outlet is a good rule of thumb if you are unsure of strands wattage and maximum watt capacity per outlet. Too many lights per outlet can be hazardous. EXTRA TIP: A power strip with a built-in circuit breaker adds more protection.
- BE SURE to use OUTDOOR SAFE lights for any outside decorations.
- NEVER leave a hot oven unattended.
- NEVER FORCE an appliance with a three-prong plug into a two-prong outlet or extension cord.
- DO NOT run cords under carpets or rugs, as this can damage the wires and cause a fire.
- CHECK the wires of all appliances, decorations, and holiday lights regularly. Replace or repair frayed, damaged cables.